Welcome to the personal blog of Sammy Fung, I am a Hongkonger, you can also follow my Twitter @sammyfung. The above photo was taken in Santa Clara, CA.
I work in the Information Technology industry for 20+ years. I start my career developing an invoicing system for a car service company when I was a college student. With my strong passion in Linux, I was employed by a Linux company that became a subsidiary of a NASDAQ listed company and promoted to senior engineer. Then I established technology companies to provide network & support services, software development, operated Linux systems in the data center. I contributed article writings to a professional Chinese IT magazine for 10 years and taught a few LPIC Linux certification courses.
In recent years, server systems are migrated from data centers to cloud services. I become a freelancer to provide consultancy services on software development and technology projects. Data technology becomes my new interest, and I have also started to involve in the open data movement in Hong Kong. Being a freelancer, allows me to make more contributions to the local & regional open source community, and established 2 successful open source and python conferences. I have also attended, organised, and spoken at overseas open source conferences for 10+ years.
I also experienced as a blogger for years, sharing my experiences on digital products, technology information, travel, lifestyle, etc. I shared his experiences from reading, researching, and attending PR / press conferences.
Currently, I am serving the following volunteer roles:
- President, Open Source Hong Kong.
- Treasurer and Director, GNOME Foundation.
- Mozilla Rep.
- Conference Chair & Founder, PyCon HK.
- Organiser, Open Data Day Hackathon in Hong Kong.
- Founder, Open Source Asia.
I hold the following professional memberships:
- Professional Member, ACM and ACM HK Chapter.
- Member, GNOME Foundation.
- Affiliate Member Representative, Open Source Initiative (OSI).
- Contributing Member, Python Software Foundation.
I established or held the advisory position in the following organisations:
- Founder and Conference Chair (2013-2019), Hong Kong Open Source Conference (HKOSCon).
- Founding Chairman (1997-2001, 2004), Hong Kong Linux User Group (HKLUG).
- Founding Committee Member, Hong Kong Linux Industry Association (HKLIA).
- Advisor, Opensource Application Knowledge Association (OAKA).